If you work with bazaar, you have seen its URIs. You can find the complete list is in the bzr help urlspec. Although I commonly use only a subset of that, like bzr+ssh://bazaar.launchpad.net/~maria-captains/maria/5.2-serg/ and http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%2Bbranch/mysql-server/5.5/.
In addition I often use Launchpad aliases, such as lp:~maria-captains/maria/5.3-serg/, lp:maria/5.3, and lp:869001.
And finally, there are common abbreviations that we have used in MySQL, and others that we use in MariaDB, for example bug#12345 and wl#90.
What’s annoying, I need to remember that wl#90 corresponds to http://askmonty.org/worklog/?tid=90 and type the latter in the location bar of the browser, when I want to look this task up. And lp:869001 is, for my browser, https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/869001. Similarly, every other URL above, has its browser-friendly evil twin. It’s evil, because I have to remember it!
Now, Firefox tries to help, to a certain extent. It supports so-called keywords — short aliases for bookmarks. Create a bookmark for https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/%s and in the Keyword field enter lp. Now you can type in the location bar lp 869001 (with a space) and Firefox will expand it into a complete url https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/869001. Quite handy. And I’ve used it for a few years. Still it annoyed me, that I had to rewrite the abbreviations manually, put spaces, remove colons, and so on. And at last it annoyed me to a degree where I wrote a Firefox plugin!
For many years I was using tcsh, with lots of useful customizations, that were created during these years. Now I have bash on my laptop and slowly adding what I’ve got used to.
Yesterday I’ve created command line completion rules for mysql-test-run. It’s not a complete set of everything that’s possible, still it’s quite useful as it is. I need to type much less now when invoking mysql-test-run (and I invoke it quite a lot).
Yesterday I set up a new machine for our MariaDB Buildbot. This is quite an important build host for us, it runs more than 20 different builds for each push into our most important trees, and is the host that builds most of our release packages. So quite a workhorse! It is a pretty fast machine, with 5 SSD disks, 48GB of RAM and 2 x quad-core Intel Xeon E5420.
This is a replacement for the previous machine serving the same builds. The previous machine was also nice, at least on paper, with no less than 24 cores. Unfortunately we were never able to run that machine stably, it would crash/hang every few days requiring manual power cycling, which was unacceptable, of course.
The new host has been running for a day or so and seems to work well, hopefully it will prove to be more stable. I wanted to do a quick comparison of the speed of builds on the new host compared to the old:
Overall, the new builder looks about the same speed as the old one, maybe a bit faster even. Which is quite nice, given that the old one has three times the number of cores. The windows build is though significantly faster. This is probably because it turns out this is quite I/O heavy for some reason, and the new host, having SSD for storage, has significantly better I/O performance.